Skip to main content

Young Adult


Author: Rebecca Carvalho 

Title: Salt and Sugar 

Genre: Young Adult 

Publication Date: November 1st, 2022

Number of Pages: 368 pages 

Geographical Setting: Olinda, Brazil 

Time Period: present time, not given in the book. 

Series (If applicable): N/A 


Plot Summary: Grandchildren Pedro and Lari are rivals within their family bakeries: Salt and Sugar. This feud has been going since each of their great grandparents opened the businesses. However, when Lari's beloved grandmother dies, she and her mother are left to try and keep the bakery going. However, with a big market cooperation coming into town to threaten the livelihood of their small community, Lari must team up with Pedro. A thing her grandma would consider a betrayal. However, Pedro and Lari will soon realize that there is more to life than just family feuds and rivalry. They will find out that love is both sweet and salty when it comes to making your own choices in life. 



Subject Headings:  Young Adult Fiction

                                Humor (Fiction)

                                Romance 

                                Brazil

                                Family 

                                Baking 

                          

Appeal: 

Funny with the antics between the two main characters, especially when crashes into cakes and flower getting dumped on your head happen within cooking clubs. It was like listening watching a romantic comedy movie and it kept me engaged throughout the story.


Family-oriented: This really tugged on my heart strings, especially with the recent loss of both my grandparents. I looked at this thinking it was a Romeo and Juliet spin, and it was. However, I got more of a family-oriented story than just a love story. It's the love of family's who connect through food and memories. It also gives both families a chance to see how far the feud has gone to cause rifts between the ones you love the most, and that its never too late to patch things up. 


3 terms that best describe this book: Heartfelt, Funny, Charming 



Similar Authors and Works (why are they similar?): Cafe con Lychee by Emery Lee is similar with connecting food and connections; however, this represents LGBTQIA+ and Puerto Rican culture. Both boys have lived in family bakeries, but now their lively hood is threated by a newcomer in the form of a fusion coffee cafe. 

Nicola Yoon has many books such as Everything, Everything and The Sun is also a Star, that focus on minority groups facing difficult challenges. However, finding love in a difficult time can bring more than just two people together.  


3 Relevant Non-Fiction Works and Authors

Cooking the Brazilian way : culturally authentic foods including low-fat and vegetarian recipes by Alison Behnke 

Brazil : a cook's tour by Christopher Idone 

Brazil on the Rise, The Story of a Country Transformed by Larry Rother






3 Relevant Fiction Works and Authors 

A pho love story by Loan Le 


Somewhere between bitter and sweet by Laekan Zea Kemp


A Cuban Girl's Guide to Tea and Tomorrow by Laura Taylor Namey 












Comments

  1. Hi Bre,

    It is interesting how the author adopted the idea of star-crossed lovers, which, as you mention, evokes the basic plot of Romeo and Juliet, but adapted it for this story, changing the setting of the novel and the ending (I presume, from your summary, that this novel does not end in tragedy the way Romeo and Juliet does). Is the setting of this novel an important appeal factor? Does Carvalho intersperse Brazilian culture throughout the book, or do setting and culture play a more background role? I found your comment about how this book read like a romantic comedy intriguing; it sounds as if the tone were less humorous, then the novel might appeal to a different set of readers, that is, readers who enjoy more straightforward romance rather than a comedic romance. Would you agree with this assessment? I agree that your fiction and nonfiction choices would appeal to individuals who enjoyed Salt and Sugar because of the elements of culture, cuisine, and romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lexi,
    For me personally, I always like retellings that take place in different counties. I have not had anything from South America, so I thought it would be interesting take of a Brazilian Romeo and Juliet. When I was looking for background information on the author, she grew up in Northern Brazil and her book has culture all through the book as well as the type of food you would find in the culture. There were parts of the story that reminded me of the movie "Little Italy", and seeing those scenes play out I couldn't help but think this could be a comedy, but it does take serious tones when it comes to loss. So, I agree with you, depending on the reader it can be viewed in different ways.
    Bre

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bre -
    I absolutely love the plot and your description of this book! I saw it come into my library a few months ago and now I think I will definitely have to check it out. It kind of makes me think of a Hallmark movie and the kind of plot that is just calming and fun. I also think it is really smart to have some Brazilian cookbooks as relevant non-fiction books since food is such a big part of Salt and Sugar. What was it that made you want to pick up this book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sydney,
      I think that is why I was drawn to it because it played out much like a Hallmark movie. It really kind of picked me honestly, I had a very long list of YA's I've been wanting to read and when I finally capped it to about 14, I was narrowing them down. When it came down the final 7 most of them were either on a long wait list or too thick for me to read in time. So, I listened to the audio sample and while I was listening to it, I kind of had a special connection to it. While reading it, I had just lost both my grandparents whom I was very close with and these families each had to deal with loss in some way or other. So, you can say in a way I felt connected to my grandparents through this book. I will tell you there were parts I was in tears because I could see myself in Lari's position.
      I was always told by my grandparents that things don't happen by accident even if we don't agree or understand why. The same goes for people, I've been missing my grandparents so much recently, and in reading this book I found a sense of peace I'm trying to gain back and start a new chapter with them, even if they are not physically here.
      Great Question,
      Bre

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YA and New Adult Prompt

  I had to really contemplate on this posting, because it hurts me to think that some people out there are saying adults should not be reading YA or graphic novels. For whatever reason, it just makes me think about how those words are hurtful and almost have a controlling sense to them, much like all these legislation bills we see to have books removed for certain age groups. In my experience as well as two of my good friends I work with in the public library, I have found that showing the community that we support their needs. It's not about what others think only the patron's we deal with on a daily basis interaction. I spoke to my co-workers/friends, and they gave me some insight that really helped me tame down my personal anger towards the nay sayers out there.  At our library here at Eckhart, we actually have a section of graphic novels and manga. This shows we want to encourage adults to reach for these materials, if there is a strong interest in them. I have always been

Week 3 Prompt

I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next! 1) I would first ask if the series they finished was a graphic novel series, since that was one of the first things that came up in NoveList. From there I would recommend the next graphic novel series or go to the next book in the series which was The Lunatic Cafe. I would then inquire if they would like to have the next couple books in the series on hold for them, in case they want them. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.  2) I would ask the patron if they were interested in another genre she's written for or would do a read-a like of the same title but with a faster reading pace. If they wanted to go a different author, what I do with No

Week 15 Prompt

  When it comes to promoting the fiction books, first and foremost, it depends on the library. For the library I work at, we always try to do a monthly display for certain types of fiction, or something related in the literary world for that month. As an example, this month we have fiction books on display for "Spring". Anything that takes place in spring or a renewal of something in the book. For one thing, doing fun displays like this are really interesting, and we also did a NoveList display. This shows what our resources we use for making decisions with RA. We used popular authors and displayed books we had to represent as "If You Liked" by each author.  Another example I would use and that I have helped with, is our new shelf books we always try to shuffle around the newer titles. If someone working has seen the same titles for over a week or so, switch them out. This is something I usually do, and usually after that a patron will see something that was already