Skip to main content

Reading Profile




When it comes to my reading preferences, I have always been one to lean towards the typical happy ending. Growing up I was always reading about anything magical, fairy tale, talking animals, anything that brought me out of reality basically. I guess that's what books do right?! So, let me start off with some of my favorite genres I typically reach for: romance, fantasy, historical fiction, biographies (depending on the person is only way I'll pick it up). I also love mythology especially Greek and Celtic, and I'm rediscovering my love of manga. Although some people would argue this is not book, but I disagree. However, one of my all-time favorite reads is fairy tale adaptations especially of Beauty and the Beast. 

Authors can be a hit and miss for me, as an example Stephanie Meyer's books are well written and can keep a reader interested. However, I am not a fan of her work in general and that could be because I have grown out of teen vampire romance phase (well maybe not). One of my favorite authors is Diana Gabaldon, her writing of stories and going in depth with characterizations are amazing. However, her books are so thick it can bog down a reader which is why I had to take a break from her books.  I never realized that there are types of readers. As the RA Interview training video depicts, I would say most of the patron I have interactions on a daily basis are type B or C. 

Sicard (2020) describes these readers as either medium to low interaction from staff or have specific amount of time to read. I would say as a reader I tend to be Type B. I generally do not have a lot of time to read, and when looking for my next read I like to hear what staff would suggest. One thing as a reader I know I value, is the opportunity to come back if I didn't enjoy the suggestion made to me. Sicard (2020) also uses components from a reference interview standpoint to help with finding what a person wants. I will say I turned to NoveList and Goodreads quite often now since I started working at my library. It makes both my professional and personal reading inquires more insightful but also fun. 

I'll end this with a list of my favorite series, authors, etc. . . Also, I am open to new suggestions anytime.

Series:                                                            Authors:

Court of Thorn and Roses                             Agatha Christie 

From Blood and Ash                                     Sarah J Maas

Vampire Academy                                         Jennifer L. Armentrout 

Outlander                                                       Ruta Sepetys 

                                                                       Ali Hazelwood 

References 

Sicard, R. [Rachel Sicard]. (2020, May 21). Readers' advisory interview training [Video].    YouTube. Readers' Advisory Interview Training - YouTube 



Comments

  1. Hi Bre,

    From your reading profile, it seems we have opposite tastes in literature. I do not read manga because it does not captivate my interest, but I would still classify it as a book. Is the reason why some consider manga is not a book because of the difference between the number of graphics compared to the number of words, or is there another reason for which I am unaware? Although I also choose books that take me away from reality, particularly during challenging situations and times, I nevertheless gravitate toward realistic fiction, which is my genre of choice, because, for me, realistic fiction still takes me out of my reality and places me in another. I was also surprised to find out that there were classifications for different types of readers and library users. I would categorize myself as a type C, specifically during breaks or the summer months when I am not taking classes. In general, I prefer to search on my own for books, without staff assistance, not because I do not value their opinions or expertise, but because I have social anxiety, and my coping mechanism is to tend to avoid these types of interactions altogether. I would categorize most patrons with whom I interact, as a type D. I do not have a lot of experience with Goodreads or Novelist. However, the times I have utilized them for book recommendations for myself, for class, or at work, I have found both resources useful. I have not heard of Diana Gabaldon, but in acknowledging that her book lengths can be challenging, you, perhaps unintentionally, make an important point: even library staff and avid readers can become burnt out by reading. Reading your comment about the length of Gabaldon’s books also made me consider how we, as a society, discuss our ‘favorite’ of something. Perhaps I am in the minority with this thought. However, in our society it feels as though when someone attaches the word ‘favorite’ to something, the assumption is that that person cannot then critique an aspect of their favorite thing, that their enjoyment is all-or-nothing. Therefore, I appreciate that you still consider Gabaldon one of your favorite authors but can also acknowledge some challenging elements of her work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YA and New Adult Prompt

  I had to really contemplate on this posting, because it hurts me to think that some people out there are saying adults should not be reading YA or graphic novels. For whatever reason, it just makes me think about how those words are hurtful and almost have a controlling sense to them, much like all these legislation bills we see to have books removed for certain age groups. In my experience as well as two of my good friends I work with in the public library, I have found that showing the community that we support their needs. It's not about what others think only the patron's we deal with on a daily basis interaction. I spoke to my co-workers/friends, and they gave me some insight that really helped me tame down my personal anger towards the nay sayers out there.  At our library here at Eckhart, we actually have a section of graphic novels and manga. This shows we want to encourage adults to reach for these materials, if there is a strong interest in them. I have always been

Week 3 Prompt

I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next! 1) I would first ask if the series they finished was a graphic novel series, since that was one of the first things that came up in NoveList. From there I would recommend the next graphic novel series or go to the next book in the series which was The Lunatic Cafe. I would then inquire if they would like to have the next couple books in the series on hold for them, in case they want them. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.  2) I would ask the patron if they were interested in another genre she's written for or would do a read-a like of the same title but with a faster reading pace. If they wanted to go a different author, what I do with No

Week 15 Prompt

  When it comes to promoting the fiction books, first and foremost, it depends on the library. For the library I work at, we always try to do a monthly display for certain types of fiction, or something related in the literary world for that month. As an example, this month we have fiction books on display for "Spring". Anything that takes place in spring or a renewal of something in the book. For one thing, doing fun displays like this are really interesting, and we also did a NoveList display. This shows what our resources we use for making decisions with RA. We used popular authors and displayed books we had to represent as "If You Liked" by each author.  Another example I would use and that I have helped with, is our new shelf books we always try to shuffle around the newer titles. If someone working has seen the same titles for over a week or so, switch them out. This is something I usually do, and usually after that a patron will see something that was already