Skip to main content

YA and New Adult Prompt

 




I had to really contemplate on this posting, because it hurts me to think that some people out there are saying adults should not be reading YA or graphic novels. For whatever reason, it just makes me think about how those words are hurtful and almost have a controlling sense to them, much like all these legislation bills we see to have books removed for certain age groups. In my experience as well as two of my good friends I work with in the public library, I have found that showing the community that we support their needs. It's not about what others think only the patron's we deal with on a daily basis interaction. I spoke to my co-workers/friends, and they gave me some insight that really helped me tame down my personal anger towards the nay sayers out there. 

At our library here at Eckhart, we actually have a section of graphic novels and manga. This shows we want to encourage adults to reach for these materials, if there is a strong interest in them. I have always been drawn to certain manga, and YA novels, even as an adult. I think it's because there is a level of comfort, but I was also discouraged to read these because of my age, or it would make me look less of an adult than I am. This was coming from a family member who really didn't know what or how to talk to me. Having a section like this helps adults feel more comfortable without so many teens looking around. We also had a Book Bedlam, similar to March Madness but literary style, and I had a YA selection (to me Newer Adult, but we have in teen as well), and my friend also had a manga selection. This shows our patrons what our staff like, and we also do this for staff birthday displays. I'm not afraid anymore to show what I enjoy. 

Another way to look at this is seeing the demand for titles in these areas. I had a lady come in saying, she enjoyed YA more than adult sections because they do not drag on depending on the story and sometimes are more heartfelt and simpler with the times were dealing with a few years back even till the present circumstances. However, some would argue that authors such as Stephanie Meyer, Suzanne Collins, and Sarah J Maas titles should only stay in teen. However, most of these authors do write about adult themes that teens can understand or have gone to writing adult fiction and vice versa. 

When it comes to YA and New Adult, I feel like it depends on the library and how the select where they should go. Regardless of how popular they are, they deserve to read by anyone who wants them. I know I'm always ready to read the next Maas book, or the next SpyXFamily manga. For me as a professional, I will always encourage anyone to read what they want without judgement. It's not my place to judge only to help and make sure a patron's needs are met at the time. 

Comments

  1. Hey Bre! I loved reading your post and I completely agree with what you said! Now that I am older I do find myself preferring to read adult books more than YA but I still enjoy a good YA/NA book every now and then. Also totally agree about Sarah J. Maas, I do not care what that woman writes because I will always read it!
    If a librarian judges you for what you're reading, then they should not be a librarian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna,
      Thank you I agree, if you are going to "throw stones at glass walls" in a library, then you should reconsider that profession. Its things like that we are trying to fight against, and it feels like we keep losing if we let that control us.

      Delete
  2. Hi Bre! Great post! I completely agree that these books should be available to be read by anyone who wants them, without judgement. That's one of the most important parts of the library!

    I love the idea of the Book Bedlam display; were all the selections made by library staff? I'm also a big fan of the SpyXFamily series. I'm glad to see it mentioned here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chloe,
      Yes, for our Book Bedlam, all choices were staff pick. We have about 30 staff, so we all picked our favorite book to go up against each other. This shows our patrons what their library staff enjoy. I was sad to see my pick "Court of Mist and Fury" and "SpyXFamily" get beat in the 1st and 2nd round, but it was still fun.
      Bre

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3 Prompt

I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next! 1) I would first ask if the series they finished was a graphic novel series, since that was one of the first things that came up in NoveList. From there I would recommend the next graphic novel series or go to the next book in the series which was The Lunatic Cafe. I would then inquire if they would like to have the next couple books in the series on hold for them, in case they want them. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.  2) I would ask the patron if they were interested in another genre she's written for or would do a read-a like of the same title but with a faster reading pace. If they wanted to go a different author, what I do with No

Week 15 Prompt

  When it comes to promoting the fiction books, first and foremost, it depends on the library. For the library I work at, we always try to do a monthly display for certain types of fiction, or something related in the literary world for that month. As an example, this month we have fiction books on display for "Spring". Anything that takes place in spring or a renewal of something in the book. For one thing, doing fun displays like this are really interesting, and we also did a NoveList display. This shows what our resources we use for making decisions with RA. We used popular authors and displayed books we had to represent as "If You Liked" by each author.  Another example I would use and that I have helped with, is our new shelf books we always try to shuffle around the newer titles. If someone working has seen the same titles for over a week or so, switch them out. This is something I usually do, and usually after that a patron will see something that was already