Skip to main content

Week 15 Prompt

 

When it comes to promoting the fiction books, first and foremost, it depends on the library. For the library I work at, we always try to do a monthly display for certain types of fiction, or something related in the literary world for that month. As an example, this month we have fiction books on display for "Spring". Anything that takes place in spring or a renewal of something in the book.

For one thing, doing fun displays like this are really interesting, and we also did a NoveList display. This shows what our resources we use for making decisions with RA. We used popular authors and displayed books we had to represent as "If You Liked" by each author. 

Another example I would use and that I have helped with, is our new shelf books we always try to shuffle around the newer titles. If someone working has seen the same titles for over a week or so, switch them out. This is something I usually do, and usually after that a patron will see something that was already on the shelf. 

Finally, and this may sound simple, but marketing helps when we want to promote fiction books. We have certain books that are popular when coming in and we promote them on social media. We tag them when cataloging and once they are complete that tag goes to our marketing team for social media and newsletter promotions. 

Comments

  1. "If someone working has seen the same titles for over a week or so, switch them out." This feels like something that should have been obvious, and yet here I am looking like the surprised Pikachu meme. I have no idea why my branch doesn't make a point of doing this, because there are absolutely books that sit face out on a shelf for a long time. And I notice them! And yet I usually just breeze right past! I might suggest this as something we start doing regularly, because it's such an easy way to showcase the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bre,
    I really like that you utilized Novelist to get people interested in more fiction! That's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bre! I love the NoveList idea. Was the display on your NoveList homepage or was it like a physical representation?

    Also, I'm curious what are some factors that you think would affect what type of promotion you might use at a different library?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haley,
      We did a physical representation, when it comes to promotion for our collection that is up to the selectors for collection development. We also look what is popular amongst our patrons and figure out which way to go forward to promote certain titles. This is done internally, but we also take considerations from our patrons and keep track of popular series and authors.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YA and New Adult Prompt

  I had to really contemplate on this posting, because it hurts me to think that some people out there are saying adults should not be reading YA or graphic novels. For whatever reason, it just makes me think about how those words are hurtful and almost have a controlling sense to them, much like all these legislation bills we see to have books removed for certain age groups. In my experience as well as two of my good friends I work with in the public library, I have found that showing the community that we support their needs. It's not about what others think only the patron's we deal with on a daily basis interaction. I spoke to my co-workers/friends, and they gave me some insight that really helped me tame down my personal anger towards the nay sayers out there.  At our library here at Eckhart, we actually have a section of graphic novels and manga. This shows we want to encourage adults to reach for these materials, if there is a strong interest in them. I have always been

Week 3 Prompt

I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next! 1) I would first ask if the series they finished was a graphic novel series, since that was one of the first things that came up in NoveList. From there I would recommend the next graphic novel series or go to the next book in the series which was The Lunatic Cafe. I would then inquire if they would like to have the next couple books in the series on hold for them, in case they want them. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.  2) I would ask the patron if they were interested in another genre she's written for or would do a read-a like of the same title but with a faster reading pace. If they wanted to go a different author, what I do with No