Skip to main content

Non-Fiction Prompt

1. Where is the book on narrative continuum?

    Highly narrative (reads fiction)


2. What is the subject of the book?

    Enchantment : awakening wonder in an anxious age: This book tells of rediscovering our sense of wonder and awe in a world where a global pandemic, social media and outside forces that have hindered that sense. 

3. What type of book is this?

    Nonfiction, Self-Help and Awareness 

4. Articulate Appeal

  • What is the pacing?
    • The book reads like a fiction chapter book with and its very quick to relate to and gives a sense of discovery about yourself. 
  • Describe the characters
    • The author is the main character, the sense of awe and wonder are new characters to be discovered. While outside forces such a social media, the aftermath of the pandemic and other things take on their own life as a character. 

  • How does the story feel?
    • Eye-opening, relatable to those who have suffered from anxiety during the pandemic, thoughtful, humorous and candid 
  • What is the intent of the author? 
    • The author takes us on her journey of self-discovery of wonder and awe in the world, despite having the aftermath of the pandemic and negative intruders surrounding her. 

  • What is the focus of the story?
    • "Through deliberate attention and ritual, she unearths the potency and nourishment that come from quiet reconnection with our immediate environment. Blending lyricism and storytelling, sensitivity and empathy" (May, 2023) 

  • Does the language matter?
    • Yes 
  • Is the setting important and well described? 
    • While from what I could tell, the setting is within the authors own world, her job, home, and her family are part of the setting for the author's own story. While I only read a portion of the book, I could tell that she gives detail about how the anxiety can make you feel closed off as if you are in a dungeon. While there is not great detail, there is enough for the reader to stay focused on what and where the story is going. In this case depending on the chapter and what she does the setting can be either irrelevant or important to the reader. 

  • Are there details and, if so, of what?
    • She gives her discovery and troubles great details about how suffocating and negatively things around her are affecting her. Showing what feelings come out of pain and anxiety are some examples she gives.

  • Are there sufficient charts and other graphics materials? 
    • None

  • Are they useful and clean?
    • N/A 

  • Does the book stress moments of learning, understanding, or experiences?
    • There from the first 5 minutes I had with a sample of this book, I could tell that anyone reading this book could have had the same experiences in some way as the author during this time. There are many things in this book I feel anyone could take as a learning opportunity, because most self-help books are about learning but its broken down to how one person can achieve and learn differently. 
5. Why would a reader enjoy this book? (rank appeal)

1.Life Changing                           2. Calm Approach                                3. Relatable 

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing Bre, this sounded interesting. I can only assume that, as we get further away from the initial lockdown, that we'll see more and more books that deal with individuals' experiences with the pandemic and what they learned from it. I'm particularly interested to read books about people with disabilities or chronic illnesses experiencing the pandemic, as I understand that it was, and continues to be, a horse of an entirely different color.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YA and New Adult Prompt

  I had to really contemplate on this posting, because it hurts me to think that some people out there are saying adults should not be reading YA or graphic novels. For whatever reason, it just makes me think about how those words are hurtful and almost have a controlling sense to them, much like all these legislation bills we see to have books removed for certain age groups. In my experience as well as two of my good friends I work with in the public library, I have found that showing the community that we support their needs. It's not about what others think only the patron's we deal with on a daily basis interaction. I spoke to my co-workers/friends, and they gave me some insight that really helped me tame down my personal anger towards the nay sayers out there.  At our library here at Eckhart, we actually have a section of graphic novels and manga. This shows we want to encourage adults to reach for these materials, if there is a strong interest in them. I have always been

Week 3 Prompt

I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next! 1) I would first ask if the series they finished was a graphic novel series, since that was one of the first things that came up in NoveList. From there I would recommend the next graphic novel series or go to the next book in the series which was The Lunatic Cafe. I would then inquire if they would like to have the next couple books in the series on hold for them, in case they want them. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.  2) I would ask the patron if they were interested in another genre she's written for or would do a read-a like of the same title but with a faster reading pace. If they wanted to go a different author, what I do with No

Week 15 Prompt

  When it comes to promoting the fiction books, first and foremost, it depends on the library. For the library I work at, we always try to do a monthly display for certain types of fiction, or something related in the literary world for that month. As an example, this month we have fiction books on display for "Spring". Anything that takes place in spring or a renewal of something in the book. For one thing, doing fun displays like this are really interesting, and we also did a NoveList display. This shows what our resources we use for making decisions with RA. We used popular authors and displayed books we had to represent as "If You Liked" by each author.  Another example I would use and that I have helped with, is our new shelf books we always try to shuffle around the newer titles. If someone working has seen the same titles for over a week or so, switch them out. This is something I usually do, and usually after that a patron will see something that was already