Skip to main content

Book Club Experience


    I never really was a fan of book clubs, the reasons being some of them have one view only mindset. They also really never liked hearing opinions of others, unless they had the same ideals of the story or characteristics. So, when I was asked to be a member of a Book Club, I initially turned my nose up at the thought. However, this book club was not a regular book club. I was asked to partake in Dekalb Mock Newberry book club. 

This is a book club based on the Newberry Award for young adult/juvenile fiction award. Now I know you are probably thinking, this is not a real book club, well it is a real book club. We do offer this to our patrons, but typically its staff amongst our neighboring libraries. I am now being trained to work each meeting, which will begin sometime this summer. All our libraries in our county select books that were newly published back in 2022. We then read the books and hold a discussion as to why or why not this would be a Newberry contender. Now of course this is a mock of what the real Newberry award that takes place, but we get something out of it for selecting these books for our juvenile patrons. 

The books we discuss vary from chapter books, picture and we even had a couple graphic novels in our mix. We also tend to find popular authors in the mix, but if they were not publishing newer books for the time, we usually find books before the meetings even start and we all as the committee agree on the selections beforehand. Our winner of 2022 was "Yonder" by Ali Standish. My absolute favorite read that we did was "I Must Betray You" by Ruta Sepetys. 

For our meetings, my supervisor Emma usually has the set up started with questions to follow. However, it's very organic, we usually have volunteers to speak first and then others follow if they have something to additional to add or discredit the book. So, we do have a leader and we take turns sharing our thoughts on the books. We all take turns in answering the questions, however if we get off topic, our leader will get us back on track and also give their opinion as well. 

As far as questions, we do have simple questions towards the end of "Should this be a contender?" and we then get into the complexity of the characters and how would they relate to readers they are intended for. Other questions range from "what did you think of this book?", "How would readers of this age relate?", or "Can this standalone without pictures and just text alone?". Depending on the book, we usually have attendees participating each meeting. I know for me it depends on the book, if I feel compelled to say something I usually cannot stop. Which sometimes can lead to stealing the spotlight, but overall, my experience has been even on speaking. There were a couple times where I thought this person needs to stop, but that was only one time. 

We always hold these meetings at the participating libraries. We rotate which one we are at, but we start and finish at Eckhart. With this in mind, we do offer refreshments at each location and its usually sweets both store bought or homemade. We always open up the discussion with introductions and a random question and answer to break the ice. These are always fun since we offer both virtual and in person discussions, and we do not always see every attendee in person. Usually afterwards if we can give tours of the libraries we will, and that's always fun to see another local library and see how they layout their materials for patrons.


Comments

  1. Hey Bre! I enjoyed reading about your book club experience. I also had the same initial thought about book clubs. I never really thought I would find one where I felt like I fit in. I read books for fun and never get upset when someone has a different opinion than me but like you mentioned, some people do not enjoy an opposing opinion. I really like how you read different types of books for this book club! A graphic novel sounds like it would be fun to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book club as professional development. I used to work more specifically with teens and kids and think it would be great to have other adults to discuss great kids books with. My library used to do an annual meeting where staff across the system would discuss a preset list of Newberry contenders and it always made me think about the story in different ways. I didn't mind hearing different opinions because I wasn't too invested in the books like I would be for discussing a book I loved. I share the same feeling you do about having to discuss a book I love with someone who wants to hate on it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YA and New Adult Prompt

  I had to really contemplate on this posting, because it hurts me to think that some people out there are saying adults should not be reading YA or graphic novels. For whatever reason, it just makes me think about how those words are hurtful and almost have a controlling sense to them, much like all these legislation bills we see to have books removed for certain age groups. In my experience as well as two of my good friends I work with in the public library, I have found that showing the community that we support their needs. It's not about what others think only the patron's we deal with on a daily basis interaction. I spoke to my co-workers/friends, and they gave me some insight that really helped me tame down my personal anger towards the nay sayers out there.  At our library here at Eckhart, we actually have a section of graphic novels and manga. This shows we want to encourage adults to reach for these materials, if there is a strong interest in them. I have always been

Week 3 Prompt

I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next! 1) I would first ask if the series they finished was a graphic novel series, since that was one of the first things that came up in NoveList. From there I would recommend the next graphic novel series or go to the next book in the series which was The Lunatic Cafe. I would then inquire if they would like to have the next couple books in the series on hold for them, in case they want them. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.  2) I would ask the patron if they were interested in another genre she's written for or would do a read-a like of the same title but with a faster reading pace. If they wanted to go a different author, what I do with No

Week 15 Prompt

  When it comes to promoting the fiction books, first and foremost, it depends on the library. For the library I work at, we always try to do a monthly display for certain types of fiction, or something related in the literary world for that month. As an example, this month we have fiction books on display for "Spring". Anything that takes place in spring or a renewal of something in the book. For one thing, doing fun displays like this are really interesting, and we also did a NoveList display. This shows what our resources we use for making decisions with RA. We used popular authors and displayed books we had to represent as "If You Liked" by each author.  Another example I would use and that I have helped with, is our new shelf books we always try to shuffle around the newer titles. If someone working has seen the same titles for over a week or so, switch them out. This is something I usually do, and usually after that a patron will see something that was already