Skip to main content

Secret Shopper Summary


                     
                                                       

For the Secret Shopper, I will say overall it was a positive experience. I went in thinking I would try a mystery series since that is a genre I want to try and get into more, especially cozy mysteries (anyone in my circle knows I don't do scary at all/ Love my Hallmark).

 Joanne Fluke and Anne George’s “Southern Sisters” were the ones that the staff really hit hard on me. However, when I asked if they had spins close to "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch" I got some really interesting series. Some I didn't mention in the paper, but I felt should list: "Miss Fortune" by Jana Deleon, "Grimm Cove" by Mandy Roth and Esme Anderson's "Enchanted Bay series".  

However, I felt that I was left somewhat disappointed because there was not a follow-up during my search. Now with the traffic through the library I was willing to be lenient, and they let me explore while they were working. 

Comments

  1. Bre,

    I sometimes forget to do follow up with a reader advisory patron too! I find that it's hard to balance hovering and not helping enough. I worked front of house in a local microbrewery and bar for a few years so I have a better grasp on that than I used to. Some people want a lot of help, some people don't.

    I find a lot of cozy mysteries dull, but I like the idea of one with a little paranormal spin. I might check out some of the books they suggested when I have time (I'm behind my personal goals for this class).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bre,
    I've read some Joanne Fluke. I really wanted to like that series because I like the Hallmark series based on it. I only made through a few, but I couldn't take ridiculous main character any more. She's does the stupidest things. I kept wanting to yell at her "you're a baker, not the police!" That being said they are pretty popular at my library. I hope you ended up with something you like.
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bre,

    I've seen a few mentions of cozy fantasies in articles online recently and wonder if those might be interesting to you. Also, I had a coworker mention in conversation that she has noticed several cozy mysteries with witches lately. She didn't seem to "get it", but it sounds like there might be some books up your alley that are recently published.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YA and New Adult Prompt

  I had to really contemplate on this posting, because it hurts me to think that some people out there are saying adults should not be reading YA or graphic novels. For whatever reason, it just makes me think about how those words are hurtful and almost have a controlling sense to them, much like all these legislation bills we see to have books removed for certain age groups. In my experience as well as two of my good friends I work with in the public library, I have found that showing the community that we support their needs. It's not about what others think only the patron's we deal with on a daily basis interaction. I spoke to my co-workers/friends, and they gave me some insight that really helped me tame down my personal anger towards the nay sayers out there.  At our library here at Eckhart, we actually have a section of graphic novels and manga. This shows we want to encourage adults to reach for these materials, if there is a strong interest in them. I have always been...

Week 15 Prompt

  When it comes to promoting the fiction books, first and foremost, it depends on the library. For the library I work at, we always try to do a monthly display for certain types of fiction, or something related in the literary world for that month. As an example, this month we have fiction books on display for "Spring". Anything that takes place in spring or a renewal of something in the book. For one thing, doing fun displays like this are really interesting, and we also did a NoveList display. This shows what our resources we use for making decisions with RA. We used popular authors and displayed books we had to represent as "If You Liked" by each author.  Another example I would use and that I have helped with, is our new shelf books we always try to shuffle around the newer titles. If someone working has seen the same titles for over a week or so, switch them out. This is something I usually do, and usually after that a patron will see something that was already...

Intro

  Hello everyone, my name is Bre. I'm in my final semester of the Library Science Program here at IUPUI, and I'm so excited about finishing. I'm new to this experience of blogging, but I'm hoping that this will be something new to explore.  I earned a B.S. in Human Social Services with a minor in Psychology, at IPFW. I worked in the mental health field for over five years working with children and teenagers. Let me tell you, that is hard work, and I am ready to experience my dream of being a public service librarian. I currently work at the Eckhart Public Library in Auburn, IN as a Technical Service Specialist and also work as a Genealogy Specialist part time as well.  I am hoping by taking this class, I can help patrons find their next new read. What I find challenging is that I can only help with certain areas of genres, and that is my wheelhouse of knowledge. Some genres do not appeal to me as others do, but I want to be able to assist patrons more effectively by exp...